Protect Your Vessel with the Help of Our Winter Boat Maintenance Tips
Unfortunately, boat care maintenance for the winter months involves more than simply throwing a tarp over your boat and storing it. Ski boat maintenance and care for other watercraft is always easiest when the boat is stored ashore, preferably on a cradle designed for your boat model. Be sure to cover your boat with canvas, leaving vents and allowing for drainage. Add non-toxic antifreeze to water tanks, toilets and septic holding tanks. Then, remove all electrical equipment, important documents and other valuables for safekeeping.
The following are some winter boat maintenance tips for your boat’s engine:
- Drain the cooling system and add antifreeze
- Disconnect the battery and store in a warm, dry place
- Drain and replace engine, transmission and outdrive oil
- Top off oil tanks and add a fuel stabilizer
- Leave outdrives in the down position to avoid water collection